Today's Best Tech Deals
Picked by PCWorld's Editors
Top Deals On Great Products
Picked by Techconnect's Editors
- Latest laptop news and reviews
- Best thin-and-light laptop
- Best laptop under $500
- Best 14-inch/15-inch workhorse
- Best convertible laptop
- Best budget convertible laptop
- Best 2-in-1 / tablet / hybrid laptop
- Best gaming laptop
- Best budget gaming laptop
- Best portable gaming laptop
There are great laptops available now (as pandemic-fueled sales remain strong), and you can see our tested favorites below. But if you yearn for the latest and greatest, hold on: CES, the biggest tech show in the United States, starts (virtually) January 11, and the flow of laptop news is building as the event nears.
Check out the latest news and reviews, along with our top picks below.
Best laptops cheat sheet: Our top picks
- Best thin-and-light laptop:XPS 13 2-in-1 7390[dell.com]
- Best laptop under $500:Acer Aspire 5 A515-43-R19L
- Best 14-inch/15-inch workhorse:Dell XPS 15 9500[dell.com]
- Best thin-and-light laptop:Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 9310[dell.com]
- Best budget convertible:Lenovo Yoga C740 14[lenovo.com]
- Best 2-in-1/tablet/hybrid laptop:Microsoft Surface Pro 7[microsoft.com]
- Best gaming laptop:MSI GS66 Stealth
- Best budget gaming laptop:Acer Nitro 5 AN515-44-R99Q[bestbuy.com]
- Best portable gaming laptop:GS65 Stealth Thin 9SD[msi.com]
- Best luxury laptop:HP Elite Dragonfly[hp.com]
- Best overall Chromebook:Google Pixelbook Go[google.com]
- Best budget Chromebook:HP Chromebook x360 12b-ca0010nr[adorama.com]
- Best MacBook:MacBook Air (M1, 8‑core CPU, 7‑Core GPU, 256GB storage)
Latest laptop news and reviews
We expect a flood of laptop news from CES. Here are the latest stories:
- The Samsung Galaxy Chromebook2 is coming in hot—hot red, that is, and in a configuration more affordable (starting at $550) than its $1,000 predecessor announced at last year’s CES. It has a distinctive QLED display, too.
- Speaking of Chromebooks, AMD fans will be glad to know that Acer's Chromebook Spin 514 is the first to feature a Ryzen mobile processor--an earlier-generation chip, but nevertheless a big design win for the company.
- Hey Alexa, Lenovo will turn selected upcoming IdeaPad and Yoga laptops into an Amazon Echo Show device, via a new Show Mode. Maybe it sounds gimmicky, or maybe it signals another step toward merging PCs and smart-home devices.
- Creators who live in Adobe applications all day need to know if their laptop can handle these intensive applications. PCWorld's Gordon Mah Ung does the work for you, testing a selection of Intel- and AMD-based laptops in two benchmarks for Adobe Creative Cloud. Get all the details and all the charts in his story.
- Because of all the new laptop CPUs coming soon, including (so rumored) Ryzen 5000, it’s a time to think hard before buying a gaming laptop. If you want the most advanced hardware, you should wait. But if you like deals, you should be able to find some good prices on capable older models.
Best thin-and-light laptop
Dell’s XPS 13 7390 proves you can have both performance and light weight in the same laptop. With its 6-core Intel Core i7-10710U CPU, this thin, light machine (available via Dell.com) actually outpaces bigger workhorse models.
Granted, the XPS 13 7390 and its Comet Lake-U CPU are getting a bit old in the tooth. The newer XPS 13 9310 2-in-1, with Intel’s 11th-gen Core CPU, suggests that the clamshell XPS 13 with the same chip will likely blow the XPS 13 7390 out of the water. But we’ve thought long and hard about which XPS 13 is best for you, and the truth is, a lot of people could get good bang for buck on the discounted XPS 13 7390 instead of paying top dollar for the shiniest new thing.
Best laptop under $500
If this particular model of the Acer Aspire 5 looks familiar, it’s probably because it’s been sitting atop Amazon’s laptop bestseller list for months. It’s easy to understand why. This AMD Ryzen 3-powered Aspire 5 packs some enticing features for the price, including a Full-HD 15.6-inch display, a slim-and-trim chassis, and solid performance on everyday computing tasks.
That said, a Windows 10 laptop this inexpensive has its compromises. In this case, we’re talking a scant 4GB of RAM and a cramped 128GB solid-state drive, while battery life falls significantly short compared to similar Aspire 5 models that don’t cost much more. Read our full review.
[Currently $410 on Amazon, but prices fluctuate frequently.]
Best 14-inch/15-inch workhorse
The Dell XPS 15 9500, an overdue refresh to the company’s high-end workhorse, arrives just in time for it to be truly considered the “MacBook Pro killer” it’s always aspired to be. Dell gave it a top-to-bottom redesign, including a 16:10 aspect ratio, 15.6-inch panel running 4K+ with HDR400 and Dolby Vision support—and the slenderest of bezels. The result is a stunning all-screen look that is likely to set the style for other laptop makers to emulate. Read our full review.
The Lenovo Yoga C940 15 is a workhorse laptop with a few bonus features: a touchscreen that flips around into tablet mode, a built-in stylus for writing or sketching, and—thank heavens—a full-sized USB-A port to complement its two USB-C connections. It even fits in a number pad without cramping its excellent keyboard. While screen backlighting is a bit uneven and audio quality could be better, it’s a solid choice for those who want a luxurious workhorse PC. Read our full review.
Best convertible laptop
Dell’s XPS 13 2-in-1 9310 is mostly an evolutionary update to the XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 we reviewed last year, but with one key change. Thanks to Intel’s 11th gen Core i7-1165G7 chip, gaming is actually conceivable on this sub-three-pound laptop.
Most other things didn’t change, and we have our beefs about the design. But that game-ready performance boost alone makes the XPS 13 2-in-1 special. Read our full review.
[$1,714 as tested; available on Dell.com]
Best budget convertible laptop
The Lenovo Yoga C740 14 (currently $790 on Lenovo.com) is one of the most impressive 2-in-1 laptops we’ve seen in its price range. Weighing in at just three pounds and jammed with nifty features, the slim, sturdily built, Yoga C740 packs in plenty of productivity pep, and it can last the whole day without its AC adapter. A bright, Dolby Vision-enabled display plus Dolby Atmos sound provide plenty of eye and ear candy. A physical camera shutter (which, unfortunately, is a little tough to slide open and closed) and a fingerprint reader help to bolster security.
In a world where high-end laptops no one can afford get all the attention, and budget laptops can be a bucket of compromises, it’s nice to see a mid-priced laptop that has so much going for it. The Lenovo Yoga C740 easily earns our Editor’s Choice award and our top pick for budget convertibles.
[$900 MSRP; $790 as reviewed]
Best 2-in-1 / tablet / hybrid laptop
This category originally started out as the best “Surface” category because, well, for a time, there was nothing like Microsoft’s 2-in-1 / tablet / hybrid device. Competitors picked up the pace, and the Lenovo Miix 520reigned for over a year. No longer.
The Surface Pro 7 represents Microsoft’s return to form, both with an up-to-date 10th-gen “Ice Lake” processor inside, but also a tweaked, modernized design that recognizes that USB-C is the wave of the future. Some legacy ports have disappeared (adios, MiniDisplayPort) but otherwise Microsoft’s tablet retains its traditional light weight and form factor. Sadly, a pen and Signature Type Cover are still extra. Read our full review for more details.
[$1,499 SRP as reviewed, excluding keyboard and pen; currently $1,199 on Microsoft.com]
Keep reading for our top picks in gaming laptops and more.
Doordash Promo Code
Save 50% on Baskin Robbins with this DoorDash coupon code
H&R Block Coupons
H&R Block Refund Sale : Up to 60% off New Tax Software
Dell Coupon code
Extra $200 off on select Business PCs at Dell
Eastbay Promo Code
15% off your order of $75+ with Eastbay promo code
AT&T Wireless Promo Codes
AT&T Wireless promo - $700 off the motorola razr
Hp Coupon Code
HP coupon: $119 off Samsung monitor